Widford Village Hall Centenary Celebrations

16 March 2012

Widford Village Hall was originally opened 100 years ago to the day where the guests of honour were Mr & Mrs W T Gepp of Moulsham Grange Chelmsford, and it was Mrs W T Gepp who declared the hall open. William Tweddel Gepp is believed to be the son of the Rev'd George Edward Gepp, of Ashbourne, Derbyshire, he was a member of the Essex family, and after becoming a successful merchant in Rio de Janeiro he retired to Chelmsford in 1903, built Moulsham Grange, and became an active member and vice-chairman of the Chelmsford Board of Guardians. The Rev'd George Edward Gepp was the son of George Asser Gepp of Chelmsford – perhaps the surgeon of that name who died in 1853, and whom it is thought was the brother of Thomas Frost Gepp.